In fact, in a recent study, 100% of Ians polled about their wives' hunger complaints were, to quote "fed up." One annoyed source said, "We ate like two hours ago. Seriously!"
|The latest scientific data on Ians and their wives' hunger.|
Today was the first attempt, and I give it a B on the success scale. Easy? Super. Delicious? Yup. But the texture isn't quite right; they're a little crumbly and it was difficult to roll them into balls. I also think I would toast my wheat germ next time as there is a bit of a grainy aftertaste. They firmed up nicely though, so maybe I needed to chill them for more than 30 minutes.
But, and I can say this confidently as I was "helping" my mix as I was making it, these fit the bill, at least for now. Ian is also a little obsessed.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Energy Bites [Energy Bite Attempt #1]
These should make around 24 bites. Or a little less if you happen to sample the dough a few times while you're mixing it to make sure it's absolutely delicious.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2/3 cup unsweetened, raw coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup ground wheat germ (I would like to try ground flax seeds next time, or toast and then chill the wheat germ in advance)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup natural, unsweetened peanut butter (I used a 1/2 cup and I think it needs more)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate chips
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the oatmeal, coconut, and wheat germ/ground flax together.
- Add the peanut butter, agave nectar, and vanilla and stir until combined. Add the chocolate chips.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 30-60 minutes.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter by grabbing a large spoonful of dough, compressing in your palms a few times, and then rolling between your palms to smooth.
- Keep the energy bites refrigerated; most of the recipes I looked at said they should keep for about one week (as if they'll last that long!).
Variation #1: For the nut-lover, omit chocolate chips and add chopped walnuts instead. About 90 calories per Energy Bite, protein increases to 5.5 grams.
Variation #2: Omit chocolate chips and add 1/2 chopped craisins. About 85 calories per Energy Bite with 3.5g protein.